Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fortíð tveir dagur

It was Natalie's (from Australia) birthday on Wednesday. The celebration consisted of a monstrous chocolate cake with blueberries, strawberries and Nutella, along with the building of a snowman and pelting dormitory windows with snow.


my ghostly self can be seen on the left
 and now the right


Today a bunch of people went to a public hot pot right next to the 0.8 degress celsius ocean. Apparently it is free because I did not pay. There is a giant rectangular hot tub where people hang out. About a minute walk is a rocky beach entrance into the freezing sea water. It is expected for you to at least jump in the ocean at least once per visit. I lasted about 15 seconds then my heart rate quickened, I was shortened of breath and i was numb from the waist down. Since I have had experiences with being numb from the waist down before, I naturally decided I needed to return to the hot pot, STAT. It was freaking cold but that didn't stop the 40 year old men from easing their way in to the ocean with shoes, socks, gloves, and head coverings and swimming around for a couple of minutes.

 these are pics on the hot pot's website from another event. you can see the beach and the hot tub



I also registered for a ski trip in the "capital" of northern Iceland, Akureyri. Since I have never skied before and I have yet to visit another part of the country (other than the Blue Lagoon tour), I figured this would be a good opportunity to do both.