Saturday, February 5, 2011

20 til 20

As of yesterday I will be 20 in 20 days...

I went to the community pool this week and i was pleasantly surprised at how legit it was. Granted it is around $4 to get in, but it includes outdoor heated pools for lap swimming, a big pool to hang out with a basketball goal and ball, four hot tubs all different temperatures, steam rooms, and whacked out sun lamps that you are supposed to stare at to get the effect of sunlight. Here is a picture. There are instructions on the wall right next to the lamp that tell you to be no more than 40 centimeters away and just stare right into it. The best way I could describe it was that you feel like you are in a huge white room with no walls like in commercials sort of. But I did not really feel any different after staring at this thing for about 20 minutes, I more or less felt like a fool.






I also went to an Ice Cream shop which is a very popular very small store. Ice Cream here is primarily vanilla, and if you want chocolate at this place they only have vanilla with chocolate syrup which is just as good but its weird they dont just have chocolate flavored. You can get all kinds of candy and gummies in it, but I don't think it can compare to a Braum's or something. But nevertheless it is a cool community attraction.

Fútbol on Thursday with the University students was a blast. It was completely snowy and icy and people were sliding everywhere. Only about 15 people showed up so we had 3 teams and played for a solid 2 hours. I finally scored a couple of times but I also embarrassed myself giving up an easy goal as goalie but no worries.

We have been getting a steady amount of snow the past couple of days, about an inch a day. I walked around town going to the store today and had to trudge through snow half way up my calf, totally enveloping my shoes and pants. But I made it and I still refuse to get a pair of boots.

I enjoy that every time I have to go to the store, I get to walk past the ocean. It's already beautiful here with the winter and the snow. I can't wait to see it in a couple of months in the spring.

This is my ghetto rig of a panorama pic via camera phone

  Some of the University as seen from Gamli Gardur
 The view if you look to the right as soon as you walk down the steps to Gamli Gardur
 Residential stræti (street)





Here are some photos I have stolen from Erika Grantier:

Ducks hangout in the lake in downtown Reykjavik 24/7
 A very large church. The soccer field we play on is right by this church.

 The view from the top of the church