Friday, January 28, 2011

Brjóstsykur

So since I'm a pretty cheap guy I have been resisting the urge to check out the Icelandic candy/chocolate scene. But today after making a trip to the post office I passed a store called 10/11 which is a late night food and drink shop. Basically like a 7/11 but with more variety. Maybe they were trying to 1-up 7/11 with their name, but one thing's for sure and it is they ain't got Slurpee's. I decided to pick up a chocolate bar, some candy which have a curious confusion behind them and some nasty looking licorice.



I just picked some random chocolate bar with a panda on it to try it out. They don't have Hershey's chocolate here so there are a lot of other brands to choose from. I also picked a box of candy coated chocolate called Smarties.



So here is why these candies are whack. Apparently, in Canada they have M&M's which are the same as in America. But instead of having pure sugar Easter-colored Smarties like we have in America, they have this M&M imitation brand of Smarties which tastes basically like M&M's with more of a candy taste from the thicker candy coating on the outside. They also claim to have the exact same product as American Smarties, but they are called Rockets...silly Canadians!

The pack of licorice looks pretty intense. I wanted to try some Icelandic licorice because my Icelandic "buddy" told me that the licorice over here is super flavored, a huge step of from the Twizzlers back home. This was the cheapest kind and I didn't want to buy a whole bag I knew I probably would not finish. I haven't tried it yet because I am prepared for the worst.



Finally got a prepaid phone over here since that's the only kind of service that is supported. No Sprint, no AT&T, no Verizon, no nothing. It is only a good deal if you have the same service as your friends because then you can call them for free. So it is arguably a better deal than anything in America if all the people you call have the same phone service. My phone did not have a SIM card so I had to borrow my Icelandic buddy's sister old pink Samsung. It's actually a very nice phone which is cool. I walked pretty much all the way across Reykjavík to find a blasted phone charger for it though. Iceland's weakness is definitely accessibility whether it be for electronics or just trying to find contact solution (which I have come to the conclusion that they only have it in Optometrist's offices). I guess because it is an import country some less common things are just hard to find.

*Alsæla*